Email bouncing back from certain senders to Vae Web Mail
  • One of our clients is saying that some people sending her email are getting the bounce back. It's weird because it only happens to some people. Any ideas? Here's an example bounce back:

XX.XXX.XXX.XXX does not like recipient.
    Remote host said: 554 Refused. Your IP address is listed in the RBL at
    dnsbl.ahbl.org See: http://vaeplatform.com/terms-of-service#DENIED_RBL_MATCH
    Giving up on XX.XXX.XXX.XXX.

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
    Received: (qmail 19235 invoked from network); 4 Oct 2010 23:44:53 -0000
    Received: from unknown (XX.XXX.XXX.XXX)
    by smtpauth22.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net (XX.XXX.XXX.XXX) with ESMTP; 04
    Oct 2010 23:44:52 -0000
    User-Agent: Microsoft-Entourage/11.2.4.060510
    Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 19:44:50 -0400
    Subject: Re: help fixing problem
    To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    Message-ID: <C8CFDF32.10A12%[email protected]>
    Thread-Topic: help fixing problem
    Thread-Index: ActkHiJzYSEugtAREd+gagAWy4qeEg==
    In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
    Mime-version: 1.0
    Content-type: multipart/alternative;
    boundary="B_3369066292_5022"

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
    this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

--B_3369066292_5022
    Content-type: text/plain;
    charset="US-ASCII"
    Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

• 4 Answers sorted by
  • Hi Greg,

What this error message means is that our server will not let the sender's server deliver mail in to our servers because the sender's IP address is listed in AHBL, which is a real-time list of servers known to send spam.

We implement these blocks on our mail server as part of our strategy to prevent spam from being delivered to our customers. I understand that running a blacklist that operates on a per-server basis is somewhat less granular than the ideal spam-detection system would be. However, we do not perform our own R&D on email scanning, and as such are limited to using commercially available tools such as AHBL and others. While we would love to provide spam protection that is 100% accurate, never blocks a valid email, and always blocks spam, that's not possible with the technology we can easily buy.

If you want better E-Mail hosting, we actually recommending switching to Google Apps, which is free.

From what I can tell, the person sending you E-Mail is using a cheap shared host to send their outgoing E-Mail. It is very common to see these types of hosts get blacklisted because some other customer of that server probably actually is sending spam. It is very likely that the person who is having trouble sending to you is also having trouble sending to a number of other recipients that use blacklists for spam control. They need to switch to a more reputable hosting company or pressure their hosting company to take action against the spammers on their network and get the blacklist entry removed.

• Hey Greg - Let me know if you want/need some help getting that customer setup with Google Apps.

• Scott,
    I would love some help getting a client of ours setup on Google Apps. They need some extra love and care.

Greg

• No problem - I'll get in touch via email.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion