Bulk image uploading
  • We are in the process of migrating a very large site to Vae. There are a number of major changes to the db schema in getting the data from the original CMS db to a logical Vae schema. I ~think~ we have a good approach to most of the problems, except getting the several GB of images uploaded.

In the current sql db there is a table specifically for files, consisting of IDs and relative URLs. This wouldn't make sense for Vae, so we're writing a script to refactor the data for an import to Vae. But I don't know what to do about all these images. We can import the entire site, but then do we have to manually upload each image? If we imported an XML file with, say, absolute links to images, would Vae know to import those images as well?

• 4 Answers sorted by
  • The answer to your question is yes. Just throw in an absolute URL as the image field in either an XML or Spreadsheet-based import and Vae will know to pull it down and store it in that image structure.

• @Kevin - Will the import that you described load the image file into the Vae file system (thereby creating a new Vae-based URL to the image), or does it only load the absolute URL from the legacy site to the image structure?

I think Adam will lose the legacy absolute URL's after the old site is taken down. Correct, Adam?

• Yes, that is correct Scott. Does that mean this approach won't work?

• It will copy it over, so you'll be all good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion